Human Resources

University Policy on Children on the University Campus

Policy No.
Human Resources
Authoring Organisational Unit
Equity and Diversity Office
Date Approved
Revised 02/05/2012
Next Review Date
Approving Body
Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor And Registrar

The University of Western Australia

University Policy on: Children on the University Campus


Purpose of the policy and summary of issues it addresses:

The University is committed to the principle of equitable access for employees and students, and promotes a work and study environment that respects the sometimes conflicting priorities of work, study and family responsibilities. The University also recognises the right of individuals to access the benefits of education and employment irrespective of their responsibilities toward dependent children, and will ensure that a risk-based judgement is made to reduce the consequences of any potential hazards that may be faced by students, employees, parents or their children.

The WA Equal Opportunity Act (1984) prohibits discrimination in education and employment on the basis of marital status, pregnancy or breast feeding responsibilities. The Commonwealth Sex Discrimination Act (1984) also prohibits discrimination on the basis of breastfeeding and family responsibilities. The University also has safety and health obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (1984).

The purpose of this policy is to outline conditions under which children are generally permitted to be at the University. Nothing in this policy prevents children coming onto campus for approved University activities (e.g. Open Day, Perth International Arts Festival, Uni Camp for Kids etc). Neither does it prevent children being taken into public access areas such as cafes, libraries or the bookshop.


Child means a child under the age of 15.

Campus means a recognised University work or study environment, owned or operated by the University. This excludes a work from home arrangement when an employee is working from home.

Carer means a person in immediate control of a child's welfare.

Employee means a person employed by the University who has an ongoing, fixed term or casual contract.

Hazard means a source of potential harm in terms of human injury and ill-health (both physical and psychological), damage to property, reputation, environment or a combination of these.

Parent means the person in parental relationship with the child including a legal guardian.

Risk means the potential for unwanted, negative consequences of an event.

Student means any person who is enrolled in a course through the University or University Extension.

Supervisor means the person who is responsible for the supervision of an employee or student.

University means The University of Western Australia.

Policy statement:

The University recognises that there may be a need to bring a child onto campus in the following instances:

  • As a last option in unforeseen circumstances (e.g. when childcare arrangements fail);
  • In order to breastfeed;
  • When a child is in one's care and a brief visit to the campus is required.

This policy applies to all University employees and students. It may also apply in particular circumstances to visitors on campus. This policy does not apply to students enrolled at the University or children attending the campus as part of an organised program.

1. Where Children Are Not Permitted

There are some University areas and situations in which children will not be permitted access. These include:

  • Areas of the University where a responsible Supervisor has completed a Risk assessment and determined that there are potential safety and health risks (e.g. laboratories, workshops, certain field activities etc);
  • In an examination under any circumstances. If a student cannot accommodate a child unexpectedly during a scheduled exam they should contact the Examinations Office or the relevant Faculty for alternative arrangements to be made (e.g. deferral);
  • Child/ren with any infectious illness. In this case, employees should access their carer's leave entitlements under personal leave. Students should notify relevant teaching staff of their situation and estimated absence and seek advice from the relevant Faculty regarding deadlines, exam deferments or other special arrangements as necessary.

2. Permission and Responsibility

  • Permission to bring children into the University environment is at the discretion of the relevant manager or Supervisor, or in the case of a student the lecturer/tutor/area supervisor concerned. Wherever possible such permission should be sought prior to bringing the child into the work/study environment. Requests are expected to be considered sympathetically and within the framework of this policy and relevant legislation. This shall include an assessment of the Risk associated with each individual request;
  • If the Supervisor believes that the presence of the child is causing an unacceptable health or safety risk, or undue disruption to others, they may request that the child be taken away from that area by the Parent/Carer;
  • Parents/Carers must ensure the safety of their children and supervise them at all times. This includes ensuring that the child/children are not exposed to any materials (including lecture content), which are inappropriate for children;
  • Entry to areas licensed to sell alcohol must be in compliance with licensing requirements and children may not be permitted into such areas on campus.

Procedure for Students and Employees when bringing a child/children onto campus:

1. Identify need to bring a child/children onto campus;

2. Consider and examine alternative childcare arrangements;

3. Seek approval from the Head of School/Area/Lecturer/Tutor or Supervisor;

4. Supervise child/children in accordance with the provisions of this policy.

3. Refusal of Permission

In keeping with the spirit of this policy and the overarching legislation, Supervisors must give sympathetic consideration to all requests. If a refusal is necessary the student/employee should be offered other alternatives such as accessing leave entitlements, special consideration, rescheduling of campus appointments, use of on-campus facilities etc. as appropriate. In the event that a refusal is given and the recipient believes this to be unreasonable, the individual concerned should seek further advice from Human Resources (e.g. Equity & Diversity, Employee Relations and Management Services), Student Services, or if possible, from the Supervisor giving the refusal.

4. Campus Facilities

The University provides a number of services for parents including Medical and Counselling services, family and parenting support services, breast feeding and child-friendly areas, baby change facilities and day care centres. For a complete list of services, locations and contact details (see Parental Leave).

Services on Campus for Parents

Breastfeeding and Child-friendly areas:

Areas suitable for breastfeeding, preparing baby food and expressing are at:

- UWA Student Parents on Campus (SPOC) Room, First Floor, Guild Commercial Centre south building. Contains a microwave, sink, hot drink facilities, fridge, port-a-cot, toys and books.

- Early Learning Centre of UWA (see Childcare).

- Unicare Early Childhood Centre (see Childcare).

- UWA Science Library Parents Room (1st floor) has two computers plus a screened-off area with comfortable chairs for breastfeeding and a child activity centre.

Baby Change:

Baby change facilities are currently located in the following areas:

- Administration East Building - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G01)

- Architecture Building (Nedlands campus) - female toilet, near lobby (room G11)

- Arts Building - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G46A)

- Arts Building - female toilet, first floor (room 150A)

- Bayliss (Molecular & Chemical Sciences) Building - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G37)

- Child Study Centre - female toilet, ground floor (room G12B)

- Guild Building - unisex toilet, behind Eyecare Centre (room G04)

- Early Learning Centre of UWA (22 Gordon St, Nedlands)

- Environmental Systems Engineering Building - unisex toilet, ground floor, SW corner (room G16)

- Human Movement - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G206)

- Medical/Dental Library, QEII (Hospital Ave) - unisex toilet, first floor (room 101E)

- Music Building - female toilet, ground floor (room G01)

- Music Building - unisex toilet, first floor (room 104)

- OHCWA - Oral Health Centre, QEII (Monash Ave) - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G13)

- OHCWA - Oral Health Centre, QEII (Monash Ave) - unisex toilet, first floor (room 152)

- OHCWA - Oral Health Centre, QEII (Monash Ave) - unisex toilet, second floor (room 216)

- OHCWA - Oral Health Centre, QEII (Monash Ave) - unisex toilet, third floor (room 321)

- Park Avenue Main Building - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G04B)

- Recreation Centre - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G05)

- Reid Library - unisex toilet, first floor (room 105)

- Science Library - unisex toilet, first floor (room 120)

- Social Sciences Building - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G04B)

- University Club - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G08)

- University Club - unisex toilet, ground floor (room G17)

- University Club - unisex toilet, first floor (room 105)

- Winthrop Hall - female toilet, ground floor foyer (room F04)


The University has two childcare centres.

Early Learning Centre of UWA

Unicare Early Childhood Education

24 Parkway, Nedlands 6009

Ph: 9389 8111, 6488 2204


There is a high demand for places in both centres so it is advisable to make contact to find out about availability and waiting times early in the pregnancy or adoption process. For other childcare services by area, call 1800 670 305 (free call).

After School and Vacation Care:

UWA Childcare also runs an Out of School Hours Care centre offering care for after school, vacation and pupil free days for primary school children.

UWA Sports offers an action-packed Uni Sport for Kids vacation care program which runs during school holidays:

Out of School Hours Care

18 Parkway, Nedlands 6009

Ph: (08) 9389 1848


Uni Sport for Kids

UWA Sport & Recreation Association

Car Park 1, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley 6009

Ph: 6488 2286

Fees for both the Out of School Hours Care and the Uni Sport for Kids program may be salary packaged by University Employees. Contact the Salary Packaging Co-ordinator for details.

Counselling and Medical Services

Balancing work, a new child, and other responsibilities can sometimes be a difficult and turbulent time. The University has services for Employees who are feeling less able to cope with their work and/or parenting responsibilities, do not have the motivation or gain the satisfaction they once derived from work, or are feeling depressed. Services include the Employee Assistance Program (counselling services) and UWA Medical Centre (GP services) 6488 2118 or

Employees in these circumstances may also like to discuss reduced and/or flexible work hours with their supervisor, or contact Employee Relations in Human Resources for further information about these options.

Family and Parenting Support

For difficulties with older children, as part of their service to the community, the School of Psychology runs the Child Study Centre and the Robin Winkler Clinic. The Robin Winkler Clinic provides individual and group therapy for adults, children and adolescents for a small fee. Clients are seen by clinical psychology trainees who are completing a Master or Doctorate of Psychology. All trainees are supervised by a Clinical Psychologist. Clients may self-refer or be referred by their GP. Contact 6488 2644 or see

The Fathering Project is a University-based non-profit team of professionals whose aim is to help fathers realise how important they are in a child's life and to give them advice on how to encourage their children. For more information, go to

Useful Contact Information

Employee Relations and Management Services ph: 6488 8528

Equity and Diversity ph: 6488 3873

HR Services, Manager Employment ph: 6488 4671

Related forms: (Link)

TRIM File No:

F41599 - PERSONNEL - POLICY - Equity - Children on the University Campus

Contact position:

Equity and Diversity ph: 6488 3873

Related Policies or legislation:

Academic Staff Agreement

Professional & General Staff Agreement

UWA Child Care Employees' Agreement 2009

UWA ELICOS Teachers Agreement 2011

Equal Opportunity Act WA 1984

WA Occupational Health and Safety Act 1984