UWA aims to attract the highest quality staff in all areas of its operations.
When preparing to recruit, managers and supervisors should develop a strategy to broaden the reach and diversity of a targeted pool of applicants. Advertising is just one approach to attracting candidates and alternate search methods are to be considered.
There is a strict process to be followed when a vacancy arises in both academic and professional and general staff areas, and a separate process exists for Senior Executives, Deans and Professor (Level E) appointments.
Preparing to recruit
- The first step is to update / create the position description including:
- Selection criteria
- Role statement
- Key responsibilities*
(Optional for academics)
- If the position description requires a National Police clearance or Working with Children Check, this must be indicated on the position description (selection criteria) and on the advertisement.
- Once the position description is created and up to date, submit it for review / approval:
- For professional roles: Email the position description to Classifications for assessment.
- For academic roles: Position descriptions are approved at school / faculty level.
Position description template
Guide to using position descriptions and standard position descriptions
For more information, view policies on job redesign and classifications
For all approvals to fill a position (advertised or not advertised):
Go to eRecruitment.
Go to HR Forms for:
- Visiting appointments
- Fast track
For more information, view policies on approval.
UWA competitive selection process
||What you need to know
||Appoint chair of selection panel.
||The chair should refer to the Selection and Appointment guide for chair of selection panel, available in the selection and appointment toolkit.
||Approved Request to Advertise
||The Request to Advertise must be submitted for approval through eRecruitment.
||Confirmation of advertising text with Human Resources
- The UWA advertising template is available in eRecruitment.
- To view examples of advertisements, go to Jobs at UWA.
- The HR Advertising Officer will be in touch shortly after the requisition has been approved in eRecruitment.
- Refer to the advertising policy.
||Advertising and applications review
- Once the job is advertised, applications are available for review as soon as submitted.
- A video tutorial to access the applications is available on the eRecruitment help page.
||Assess, shortlist and interview
- Staff involved in the selection and appointment process must be aware of the pre-employment requirements.
- Refer to pre-employment policies.
||Offer: Email the signed selection report to HR Services:
Alternative selection process
View the appointment policies page for important information about conditions of appointment.
Staff involved in the selection and appointment process must be aware of the pre-employment check requirements.
View all pre-employment checks policies including:
- Relocation expenses
- Visas and citizenship
- Recognition of prior service
- National Police Clearance certificate
- Working With Children Check
|Roles advertised through eRecruitment
You will then be emailed a link to complete the Recommendation to Offer.
||Non-advertised roles (for example Non-advertised fixed-term appointments)
||Raise request through eRecruitment (“New job”) to submit:
The contract will be generated once the online requisition has been fully approved.
- Executive approval (if required) and
- Recommendation to offer.
- Visiting appointments
- Fast track
|Go to HR forms and return the relevant completed form to Human Resources.
Contract of employment
View the online induction on the New Staff website.